Friday, November 30, 2012

What I have learned


Over the semester I have gathered a wide range of information over a lot of materials. These materials covered were fabric, walls, ceilings, floors, bathrooms, kitchens, stones, paints, countertops, and color schemes. The field trips were my favorite part of the class. I enjoyed them because we got a chance to actually physically see and hear about the products. The tours given by the individuals were very informative and interesting. I appreciated each speaker for taking time out of their day to show us around and tell us a little about what they do and why.
The Fiber and Biopolymer Research Institute visits were a neat experience. Getting the opportunity to walk through the warehouse and see the machine’s in action was something not many students get to do. Seeing things hands on is much more interesting than a PowerPoint of it. Interacting with the speakers was an easier way to learn the material and actually remember it. I really enjoyed when they turned the machines on for us to see how they work but the only machines name I can remember is “the wyzenbeek”. I learned about the difference between natural and synthetic fibers and their importance.
Visits to the local businesses were even cooler. I loved seeing these businesses succeed and run by people who enjoy what they do for a living. All About Looks reviewed what we had already gone over in class but the fabrics were really pretty and fun to look at. Leftwich Flooring and Collins Tile and Stone informed me of the many different options I have when choosing a floor, a countertop, a kitchen or even a bathroom. The huge slates of marble and granite were beautiful! Also, who knew there were so many wood options; cork, leather, exotic, and bamboo. When it comes to wood, carpet, tile, laminate, vinyl and luxury vinyl, Leftwich can cover any needs. They offered a wide selection of display pieces and samples to examine the product up close, which was fun for us designers. Collins also offered a variety of beautiful samples; I felt like a kid in a candy store. Parker, Smith, and Cooper was my favorite field trip. I liked walking through the LEED certified building and seeing how each aspect helped. The open seating arrangement was a good example for us student to see because we are slowly incorporating that into our workspaces. The green roof was the most interesting though. Although I saw my first one in Chicago, Illinois at Haworth, it was still nice to see another one locally. I didn’t think he was going to actually take us up to the roof when he asked but boy were we in for an adventure. We had to climb a really weird latter and then stand on a tiny platform with what was only supposed to be seven girls, turned into the whole class! It was fun though and it opened my eyes more about going green!!!
This class was very informative and hands on, which helped keep my interest. I have gained knowledge over many materials and will be able to put that knowledge to use in every project. Each field trip taught me something new and gave me inspiration for the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment